Example

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Beyond This Dark House

Sorry...my creativity is a casualty of my fucked-up head. I'll be letting other people's words speak for me for now. No HNT tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

1.

And I was coming home
these past two weeks,
feeling my way,
letting the pace of walking
ease over barefoot stones.
Moving again
into the rhythms of
summer on the prairie,
rediscovering the steps,
hesitations,
the afternoon languor.

Last night over coffee
someone told me
you were also home.

2.

You've walked beside me,
never knowing,
for six years now.
We've been together
in so many places
as I travelled, under skies
with doubled moons.

Beyond this dark house
a train is running away
into the night plain.
We've all had
dreams break,
fantasies we shaped.

3.

Your restless fingers
in mine. A night lane.
Streetlamps before and behind,
shadows thrown two ways,

you will tell me:
'If I think about walking,
about actually walking,
I find it hard to move my feet.'

Still, a moment,
both of us,
suspended
like midsummer
at the centre of all
turning things.

You will raise your hands to my shoulders.
There may or may not be a moon.

4.

The train has long since
followed its tracked path
among the farms.

Far out in the very dark,
summer wheat is rising
from the rich, cared-for soil.

The shortest night wheels
past this window, stars
dropping behind the trees.

Somewhere there are bonfires
for St. John, somewhere
fires for the summer king.

5.

It's so late. For this,
for everything, for being still
awake beside a window.

Sure of very little tonight,
I do know, or remember,
as if from birth,

that here where we've both
returned, the yielded grain
has always been the oracle of the earth.

And so it is that risen wheat
I will try now to invoke,
without any easings of use

to guide me with rounded words
out beyond light
into the swaying fields

where the silos wait.
And lacking not only words
but also an unspinning thought

to thread upon the dark,
I will ask only that
we may each be whole,

together or apart,
in this unstrange place,
under the one moon of this sky.

- Guy Gavriel Kay

(I highly recommend this guy's book: Beyond This Dark House. He writes gorgeous fantasy novels, too, but that volume of poetry is his best work.)

3 Comments:

Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

Very nice poem. Is it a poem book completely or does he write other types of things?

12:07 PM  
Blogger Adora said...

He does indeed write other types of things, although that particular book is exclusively poetry. He writes fantasy novels; I especially recommend Tigana and The Lions of Al-Rassan. A point of interest for Tolkien buffs: he helped Christopher Tolkien edit The Silmarillion.

9:37 PM  
Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

Funny I am usually up on most of the authors in that genre and have not heard of him. Well maybe I have and I don't remember ;)

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home