Example

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Slightly Unrelated

I'm now going to post something that isn't about sex! I don't want to turn this blog into a rant about my daily life, because that's usually painfully boring, but I just need to get this off my chest.

I was recently at a family gathering. My sister, who is taking classes to become a hairdresser (or should I say stylist, ahem) and I were talking about marks. I said that I had about a 75% average, and I wish it was higher. My sister said, I'm getting 90's in my courses. Very superior. And without thinking, I replied, well, if I was taking hairdressing courses I would be getting 90s too!

Now that was, I realize, unforgivably rude, given the audience contained not only my sister but my aunt and her sister, who are both hairdressers. My cousin has just last evening informed me that they were severely put out by this statement. Yes, I put my foot in my mouth. I shouldn't have said this. But you know what? I'm not particularily sorry.

I am in university studying a very technical, difficult and emminently practical scientific subject. When I graduate I will have knowledge and skills that will enable society to continue to function. I am not exaggerating or bragging, that's just how it is. Without my field, life as we know it would not exist. And it's damn hard. I work really hard to maintain a 75% average.

And then, a student of hair styling, possibly the most useless career choice possible, acts superior to me because she gets higher marks. First of all, I've seen the tests she writes and the textbook she uses, and they're a joke. All you have to do is memorize names, and the 'science' they teach about the hair and scalp is just plain wrong. I admit, the actual cutting and styling of hair does take considerable skill, but is it essential or necessary? If all the hairdressers in the world up and died, would the world come to a grinding halt? Hell no. I'd grab some kitchen scissors and get on with my life. Perhaps people would have less perfect hair, but really, who has perfect hair anyways? Even when I'm fresh out of the salon I don't like my hair. I'm pretty sure most women would be happy if society didn't demand they spend $50 on a hair cut every six weeks and a half-hour every morning in a futile attempt to style it.

Tell me hairdressing is fun or creative and I'll buy it. Tell me it's difficult or intellectually stimulating and I'll tell you to shove it up your ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home